Infiintat in: 1972; Orasul: TULCEA; Profil general: Arta
Adresa: Strada G. Antipa numarul 2
Program: 8:00 – 16:00 (iarna), 10:00 – 18:00 (vara); luni: inchis
The Art Museum is hosted by a neoclassical building, raised between 1863 and 1865, as an administrative palace of Tulcea Sangeac, called at the time Pasha’s Mansion, that underwent changes in time. After Dobrogea reunited with Romania, it became the headquarters of the Tulcea County Prefecture in 1878. On the ground floor there were the County Court of Justice, the quarters of the bailiffs and the Jury Court. Between 1950 and 1970, it functioned as the Tulcea District Council. It became the quarters of the Art Museum on the 23rd of August 1982.
The Tulcea Art Museum takes pride in holding a significant heritage that constantly grew over the last ten years, from 4,365 by the end of the year 1991, to 7,015 works currently, so that it owns seven collections, as follows: the modern and contemporary painting collection, counting 932 works; the modern and contemporary sculpture collection, counting 420 works; icon collection from the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries, counting 797 works; modern and contemporary graphics collection, counting 4,016 works; engraving plates collection (unique in this country), counting 400 works; the Oriental decorative art collection from the 18th and 20th centuries, counting 311 pieces; the decorative art collection from the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries, counting 139 pieces.
Following the theme of “Dobrogea Reflected in Romanian Fine Art”, the museum presents in the galleries of the permanent exhibition works of great national and international value, that could engender the envy of the great museums. They are works of modern and contemporary graphics and painting, including works by artists, such as: Gheorghe Petrascu, Nicolae Tonitza, Theodor Pallady, Stefan Popescu, Petre Iorgulescu Yor, Jean Al. Steriadi, Francisc Sirato, Stefan Dimitrescu, Nicolae Darascu, Ion Theodorescu Sion, Vasile Popescu, Samuel Mutzner, Rodica Maniu, Marius Bunescu, Cecilia Cutescu Storck, Gheorghe Sarbu, Stavru Tarasov, Leon Biju, Ion Tuculescu, Iosif Iser, Lucia Dem. Balacescu, Dimitrie Gheata, Michaela Eleutheriade, and Paul Miracovici.
That school of the Black Sea, of the Danube and of the Dobrogea sunlight, although outstanding, is a natural part of Romanian art, as it was preceded by works of the great masters from the end of the 19th century and early 20th century: Theodor Aman, Nicolae Grigorescu, Ion Andreescu, Stefan Luchian, George Demetrescu Mirea, Sava Hentia, Nicolae Vermont, a.s.o.
The museum owns remarkable sculptures by the representative artists of Romanian art: Ioan Georgescu, Dimitrie Paciurea, Frederic Storck, Ion Jalea, Oscar Han, Milita Patrascu, Alexandru Calinescu, Constantin Baraschi, Ion Irimescu, Ioana Kassargian, a.s.o.
The most valuable works of this collection is undoubtedly that from the vanguard collection represented here by: Hans Mattis Teutsch, Max Hermann Maxy, Marcel Iancu, Corneliu Michailescu, culminating with the 14 works (ten paintings, four graphics) signed by the well known artist famous all over the world, Victor Brauner. The exhibition ends with the contemporary period represented, along others, by: Corneliu Baba, Henry Catargi, Iulian Olariu, Ana Asvadurova and Alexandru Ciucurencu, from Tulcea, a school founder.
The heritage also comprises outstanding paintings and graphics by contemporary artists.