Muzeul de Arta (CONSTANTA), Art Museum





Infiintat in: 1961; Orasul: CONSTANTA; Profil general: Arta

Adresa: Bulevardul Tomis numarul 82 – 84

Program: 9:00 – 20:00 (vara); 9:00 – 17:00 (iarna); luni, marti: inchis

Established on the basis of the painting and sculpture collection originating in the Picture Gallery of the Constanta City Hall, the museum was enriched with works transferred from the National Art Museum and from acquisitions and donations from Marius Bunescu, Ion Jalea, Boris Caragea. The exhibits are displayed on three floors of the two buildings linked to each other; the first construction dates from 1895, and bears elements of neo-classical exterior decoration, the other one is modern and was built between 1980 and 1982.

In the first building, on the ground floor, are on display reference works by Theodor Aman, Nicolae Grigorescu and Ioan Andreescu. There are a few still lives by Stefan Luchian. The ground floor exhibition includes works by great sculptors from the same age: Ioan Georgescu, Stefan Ionescu Valbudea, Friederic Storck and Dimitrie Paciurea. On the first floor a large Pallady hall displays no less than 35 works by the artist: exquisite still lives and nudes, as well as landscapes inspired by the seaside at Constanta, which means he was here in 1913. Also here one can admire small portraits and compositions signed by Ion Jalea, Cornel Medrea, and other sculptors. The second floor displays a vast “Group of the 4″, a landmark of the 1924 – 1933 arts: Nicolae Tonitza, Stefan Dimitrescu, Francisc Sirato, and the sculptor Oscar Han. The second floor comprises compositions, portraits, and landscapes signed by Camil Ressu, Sabin Popp, Ion Theodorescu Sion, a.s.o. Other halls display works by Vasile Popescu, Dimitrie Ghiata, Ion Tuculescu and Lucian Grigorescu. Some other works owed to Corneliu Mihailescu, M. H. Maxy, Magdalena Radulescu, Marcel Iancu (some of the few outstanding avant-garde representatives) make the connection to the contemporary art of Ion Musceleanu, Spiru Chintila, Ion Pacea.

The museum owns goods listed in the National Cultural Heritage Treasure.