Orasul: BUCURESTI; Profil general: Arta
Adresa: Strada Sion numarul 2, sector 2
Program: inchis pentru restaurare
Between 1906 and 1907, jurist Ioan Kalinderu, a passionate collector, established an art museum. In 1914, by a donation act, the museum became state property. He had an impressive collection of items representative for mediaeval art, traditional Romanian art, as well as French, Italian, Flemish and German art. During World War II, the building was bombed, and a part of the collections destroyed. In 1946 it was dismantled, and the collections became the property of the National Museum of Art and Archaeology. Over the time the museum building housed “Nicolae Grigorescu” Institute of Fine Arts and the Union of Romanian Fine Artists. Since 2005 it has been managed by the National Museum of Art of Romania. The museum is temporarily closed until the complete restoration of the museum building.